Boylston Memorial Garden
Located on one of the highest hills in Columbia, the Governor’s mansion was built in 1855, and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1970. The Caldwell-Bolyston House is located on the north side of the mansion grounds.
The Boylston gardens were first established by the Caldwell family, where owner Sarah Porter Smith Boylston nurtured the gardens for 69 years. She entertained Winston Churchill, Tallulah Bankhead, Lord Mountbatten, and Ethel Barrymore in the gardens. The pea gravel paths are in their original 1830s location. Basically a green garden, the garden is planned on four tiers and features elegant fountains, rectangular boxwood enclosed beds and some large Magnolia and Crape Myrtle trees.
According to Horticulturist Mike Lee, “The nine acre site features an intricate display of boxwoods, an extensive camellia collection, flowing fountains, and state champion trees.”
The Columbia Garden Club provides support to the State Garden Club for the upkeep of the Boylston Gardens.